Our mental wellbeing is a hot topic in society now more than ever. It’s becoming more and more understood that our state of mind is just as important as our physical fitness. As the conversation of destigmatizing mental health diversifies, the value of using cannabis for therapeutic use has been a popular point of discussion.
New to this whole cannabis thing and need more info? Or maybe you’re a seasoned user and want to expand your cannabis mastery. No matter your journey, we’re here to help. Let’s start with the facts.
There’s Research To Back It Up
Cannabis prohibition and restrictions gradually decreased in the US in the 2010s. Using cannabis to treat various mental health disorders has become more widespread in recent years. Additionally, more people are turning to cannabis to treat their health issues. This 2017 report from the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine Studies shows that the use of cannabis is effective for treating a host of conditions. For example, alleviating stress, improving cognitive ability, reducing anxiety and depression, and improving your sleep—all of which contribute to a more peaceful state of wellbeing. With new research consistently revealing additional psychological benefits of marijuana, it’s good to keep up-to-date on cannabis knowledge.
The Science Behind Cannabis – Let’s Break It Down
The cannabis flower is made of hundreds of compounds called cannabinoids. Some of these cannabinoids can alter the release of messenger chemicals (such as dopamine) in the brain and nervous system. The amount of dopamine in the brain influences our mood, motivation, and how we feel pleasure.
Cannabis has the ability to induce the release of endorphins. Endorphins are the chemicals that relieve pain and stress in your body. They trigger a positive feeling in your body, resulting in an overall sense of calmness and even euphoria.
The Therapeutic Psychological Benefits of Marijuana Explored
Increased research is proving that cannabis offers amazing therapeutic benefits for a wide range of conditions without major risks or unwanted side effects. This is a huge advantage for folks struggling with the stress of things like healthcare costs and prescription management.
Here are some of the key psychological benefits of marijuana use:
- Enhance the brain’s power to focus; increasing alertness, and boosting energy. This can lead to heightened creativity and motivation. Time to bust out that dusty paint set you got for Christmas or unwrap that journal you bought from Target 6 months ago!
- Improve your quality of sleep, helping those with insomnia and other sleep disorders get a full night’s rest which is vital for overall health. Get yourself a sound machine or grab your favorite floofer friend and relax the night away.
- Reduce pain—offering relief for those suffering from various conditions such as cancer, nerve pain, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, migraines, and more. Say hello to long walks in the park, a night out on the town with your buds, and that 5k on your bucket list!
- Create a calming full-body experience that can relieve symptoms of anxiety, rumination, and nervousness for many people. I’m thinking of a nice bubbly bath situation or maybe a weekend camping trip, sleeping under the stars away from the city hustle and bustle.
- Improve cognitive functioning which could ultimately improve your memory. Find that local trivia night competition and show them what’s up!
- Help in reducing social anxiety, making it easier to connect with friends. Ah phone chats, never-ending text threads, brunches, hikes…what’s better than connecting with your people?
That’s only naming a few health benefits! You may be wondering how one plant can cause so many different effects on your body. That’s where ‘strains’ come in. Not all strains have the same effect and can vary in potency. Taking your personal tolerance and preferences into account is important when choosing the right strain for you. Some experimentation could be helpful to get you to your perfect high.
First thing to do is look into the distinction between indica and sativa strains. Indica tends to produce a calming, more euphoric vibe inducing relaxation, whereas sativa is known to give you an extra boost in energy and alertness. However, this isn’t always so straightforward. In other words, not all indica strains will be strictly sedative, and not all sativa strains will have you bouncing off the walls. So, once again, the best thing you can do is experiment to find the social strain for you.
Check out our website where you can explore some of the cannabis strains you may encounter on your journey with Dogwalkers. Then, head over to this blog where we explore some of the most common terpenes found in cannabis, and the impact that different strains may have on your cannabis experience. Today, there really is a strain for everyone, and exploring a bit with different varieties can be well worth it – especially when it comes to your mental health. Simply put, cannabis makes folks happier and there is research to back it up!
Whether you’re starting to dip your toes into the world of cannabis, or you’re looking to up your cannabis game, Dogwalkers Pre-Rolls has you covered. Take the time to enjoy the simple pleasures in life and start the journey!
Back to blog